Pages


Saturday, February 13, 2010

Ain't Got No Soul

The feeling is gone.  I was sitting at home watching the NBA All-Star game skill events and I would have much better spent my time reading, playing a game or listening to music.  Each event was entirely devoid of any kind of excitement and just seemed like one big ho-hum party thrown by a bunch of snobs.  It was truly pathetic in every way.

Maybe it's the altered mind state caused by the economic climate?  Was it a result of the morose aftertaste left by the disaster in Haiti?  I'm certain those things affect the overall feel in some ways but I think it's predominantly that everything is soulless.

Raw emotion has taken a backseat to spectacle.  Celebrity today is just the duty of selling products.  Popular music is just a shell of what human expression through sound used to be.  It's all empty.  Of course, this is not news.  However, I was a bit taken aback by how obvious it was made by tonights events.  All of the history, all of the celebrity, all of the advertising, all of the money....it didn't equate to a real experience. 

We need more soul.  

No comments: