Pages


Wednesday, January 25, 2012

MaG - "Freedom"

It was a clear and concise introduction. Something to the tune of, "Good day. My name is MaG. Here's my song. I hope you dig it." Of course, I paraphrase. I appreciate that simplicity. It allowed me to get to the music quickly. The music...

Though MaG's home base is right here in NY, I had not heard of him or seen him out and about. Not abnormal at all given that this city is almost literally spilling into the surrounding waters with people. Yet still, I should have heard of MaG. As a matter of fact, if I find out any one of the many industry heads I know knew of this MC and didn't tell me I'm going to hold them personally responsible!

I hit the link and pressed play. The Ta-Ku produced track immediately grabbed my attention. That classic Hip-Hop lo-fi blaring sample thing gets me every time. I immediately got a visual. Big stage, bright flashing lights and thousands of hands in the air. Then a graffiti writer bobbing her head to "Freedom" as she threw up a crazy wild style piece. Then break dancers throwing some freakish power moves in Union Square while bystanders clap in time.

See, this song is so Hip-Hop. The way I knew it growing up. Loud. See all definitions of loud. The Bronx MC has plenty to say through his masterful handle of cadence. I don't need to break it down for you as you're all intelligent people. (That's why you read me, right?) Just listen to the track and hear living breathing Hip-Hop. The next time you hear someone say, "Hip-Hop is dead!" I implore you to play this track for them and then hit 'em with that old DX....



No comments: