Pages


Monday, April 25, 2011

Dead Prez - "The Beauty Within" x Scooba Steve "Nappy Heads Unite"

 Last year, Dead Prez released their mixtape Revolutionary But Gangsta Grillz.  I thought the entire disc was great and "The Beauty Within", a reinterpretation of B.O.B.'s "Nothin' On You", was one of my favorites. I remember almost being moved to tears on one of my morning commutes as I let the lyrics permeate my skin and activate my soul like strong bass waves.

My identity is so important to me and I am so grateful for artists like Dead Prez that speak to the truth of who we are as a people. In the pursuit of "better" many of our people confuse better for meaning anything but Black.

I coupled this music video with a short film by independent director "Scooba Steve".  I watched the video weeks ago but I couldn't bring myself to just throw it up like any old blog would. It's far too important for that. Not that it can't stand on it's own merit; it most certainly can. I just couldn't find the words to properly compliment the honesty and artistic integrity contained within. Titled "Nappy Heads Unite", it is the story of a young lady who cuts her perfectly permed hair to go au natural.

Together, these two moving images make a strong and important statement....

Black is beautiful.


Dead Prez "The Beauty Within" from kinetikcinematix on Vimeo.



No comments: