Pages


Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Skyzoo - "Spike Lee Was My Hero" Music Video feat. Talib Kweli


Spike Lee has been under fire in the media recently due to his comment about the polarizing Quentin Tarantino film Django Unchained. I'm pretty sure that much of that negative energy is perpetuated by people who don't know Spike's works. Agree or disagree with his thoughts on the film, his importance to Black history and film is undeniable.

Wordsmith Skyzoo pays homage to that history with "Spike Lee Was My Hero" from his "A Dream Deferred" album. For extra emphasis, Skyzoo tacks on bars from Talib Kweli, who also spoke of Spike's influence on his life. The two deliver incredibly deep and complex lyrics that are almost impossible to catch in their entirety on the first pass. Just what I expect from both of them.

Through a wild chance with fate and the power of social media, Spike Lee himself caught wind of the song and was so impressed that offered up a cameo. Now that is epic $#!+!

Check out the music video if you missed the premier on 106 and Park last night. (I hope you did because I WILL judge you if you were watching 106 and Park.)

No comments: