Pages


Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Recession Continues or Impulse Buying

I'm an impulse buyer.  Nothing triggers my impulse like the the word sale.  I got a text message from a friend today that a local f.y.e. store is going out of business.  They'll be closing their doors on the 31st of this month and everything in the store is discounted significantly.  Of course, this means that plenty of crap was marked up to be marked down but there are definitely some decent deals to be had. 

Apparently f.y.e. stores all over the country have been closing for the past year or so.  Definitely check your area to see if any are closing near you.  CDs and Blu-Ray discs are probably your best bets.  No way in hell NBA 07 for PS3 marked $59.99 and only 40% off is a good deal.  I've read that deals vary from store to store though so you might catch better deals in some locations.  I don't know.  I hate f.y.e. and I've only been inside of their stores a total of 3 or 4 times, including today's trip.

Here's my haul for the day:

50 First Dates - Blu-Ray - I love this movie.  I love all Happy Madison movies, actually.  I've probably seen this movie 8 times already. 

Battle for Terra - Blu-Ray - I wanted to take my son to see this film at the International Children's Film Festival last summer.  I found out about the showing a little too late and when I tried to get tickets it was already sold out.  Was shocked to see it on Blu-Ray so I had to cop it.

Incubus: Look Alive - Blu-Ray - I'm a big Incubus fan.  (Shout out to Chico Fontaine for puttin' me on.)  I had great tickets to see them  at Radio City Music Hall last year that I didn't use.  My dumb ass was so excited that I didn't even read the damn tickets properly.  I thought they were playing at Jones Beach so I drove to Jones Beach.  I get there and, in true moron fashion, I'm driving around for 10 minutes in PITCH BLACK night like, "Where the hell is everybody and how come I don't hear shit?"  I finally have some semblance of a synapse firing and check my tickets.  You should have seen my face when I realized I was at the wrong venue.  I was too upset (and pretty much too late) to drive back to Manhattan to catch what I could of the concert.  This disc will make a nice companion to my Red Rocks disc.

Weeds: Season 4 - Blu-Ray - My wife bought this.  I have no idea what it is.  Read the back of the case though and apparently suburbanite white lady sells weed.  Clever.

Slumdog Millionaire - Blu-Ray - I've been trying to catch this movie for the longest.  Missed it in theaters.  Missed it on premium channels I don't know how many times.  Now I own it. 

None of these over $17.49.  Booyah!

1 comment:

El Sambo said...

weeds is that show Rox...peep all the seasons...pretty funny

-dre